Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Submit Yourself to God Daily

I was thinking on the way to work about how the Bible says to submit yourself to God.

In my life, I have learned that I didn't just submit my life to God once, but I have to do it over and over, almost daily. Greed, selfishness, control, and all the other things quickly creep in.

I do an exercise where I literally have an image in my head where I am sitting on the throne of my life because I am in control, I know what is best, etc. etc. Then, I get off the throne and allow Jesus to come sit on the throne of my life, as I lay face down on the floor. It reminds me who should be in control of my life. It reminds me to pray and thank God for caring that much about me.

When you think about it, who would you rather have running your life? Imperfect you who has no idea what is really best for yourself? Or, a God who knows you better than you could ever know yourself, who has plans for you and knows exactly what you need every day and before you ever do.

You aren't losing control, you are letting the master have control. You are free ! You don't have to worry anymore because God is calling the shots in your life. What could be better than that? I know I have screwed up my life so I am happy to give my throne to God.

Try the exercise.... it really puts things in perspective.

4 comments:

Ruthie said...

Great post. Good illustration on putting God in control of our lives. It's a good reminder for us all!

Jan Parrish said...

Awesome post. I especially liked this line:

"I have learned that I didn't just submit my life to God once, but I have to do it over and over, almost daily."

Jan Parrish said...

Benny,
There is an award for you on my blog. (((h))) to you and the fam.

Unknown said...

Hello, I just found your blog and I actually author my own blog daily. This is a great post with an excellent exercise. Submitting daily is just like where Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:31 that he dies daily to God's will. I believe this is something we should do and must do as obedient children of the Most High God. Jesus' sacrifice would have been in vain if we could not humble ourselves before him.